Wednesday, June 27, 2012

We CAN do it

So this week I attended yet another professional women's networking event and had a sense of blah blah blah, same old same old panel discussion:  work-life balance, discrimination, shoes.... Okay I am being a little harsh but still, it does occur to me that when men get together to network they are focusing on other things, like, who in this crowd is likely to hire me or refer a client to me?  rather than why is everyone so mean to me and what should I do about the fact that my spouse is not a stay at home wife.

Anywhoo, what WAS really great about the event was the focus on Rosie the Riveter and the huge contributions of women in the 1940's to American industry during World War II.  So that inspired me to do a little research.  I had a general recollection of the cultural icon, but did you know that there is a national historic park that is devoted to women's contributions to the War effort?  The Rosie the Riveter WWII Home Front National HIstoric Park is in Richmond, California:


View Larger Map

Well now you know.  It's fascinating to be reminded how these women were recruited, and then somewhat cavalierly told to go back to domestic work after the War.  These women were real pioneers for all of us who have followed in breaking down the barriers to women in the workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment